Trusted Atlanta Dog Bite Attorney Don Singleton
The Singleton Law Firm is 100% devoted to fighting for you and we have specialized attorneys in every area, including dog bite injuries. We know every detail needed to be precise in the process of pursuing your rights. It’s been 30 years since we first started fighting for personal injury victims so you’ll get a skilled and experienced attorney on your side.
Here are just a few outstanding cases we have won
MARTA BUS Claim
Bus v. Auto - Recovery of
MARTA BUS Claim
Dog Bite Injuries
Dog bites are common injuries for both adults and children. Dog bites can lead to not only serious injuries but also psychological trauma or even death. It is, therefore, necessary to always be careful when dealing with dogs, even those that are considered pets.
It might be the last thing you think about after you are bitten by a dog, but contacting a lawyer is something you should do soon after so you can pursue your rightful compensation.
What to do When Bitten by a Dog?
- Try to identify the dog. If the dog has or is suspected of having rabies, you must seek medical care right away.
- Do not argue with the owner of the dog. It won’t do any good, especially when they don’t want to believe what happened. Many owners believe in the goodness of their pets, and that’s why it’s hard for them to accept that their dog would bite without provocation.
- Don’t sign anything and don’t make statements that can be recorded. The dog owner, property owner or their insurance company might try to get you to sign documents or record your statements on tape. Take note that their primary goal is to get you to make statements that will help in their cause to avoid possible liabilities for your dog bite injuries. If this happens, you should consider having a lawyer present to assist you.
- Make a report to the police. Report the incident to the police so they can investigate further. They will then provide a statement and official report that may help establish the dog bite incident further in the process.
- Seek medical care. The dog that bit you may have rabies. In that case, you will need the appropriate vaccines to counter the effects of rabies. Dog bites often involve puncture wounds from fangs. These can also be easily infected. Moreover, you may have scrapes and abrasions from protecting yourself during the attack. An infected wound can result in a worse scar and even serious complications and consequences. That’s why seeking medical care after a dog bite injury is a must.
- Consult a lawyer. A reliable lawyer will help you get compensation for your financial losses, emotional or psychological effects of the dog bite injuries. Even if the insurance company offers to give you payment, it helps to have a lawyer review the proposed settlement. A lawyer you can trust can help you obtain a fair outcome.
The Law for Dog Bite Cases
According to statistics, Georgia is among the 10 states with the most dog bite claims. Different laws on dog bite injuries are provided in different states. Dog owners are liable even if it’s the first time that their dogs bit somebody.
Sometimes, you can be injured not only by a dog bite but also by an attack that causes injuries from the dog’s claws or for you to fall. These cases can also be filed for claims.
Life can change in the blink of an eye. If you were a victim of a dog or other animal bite and now need a lawyer, don’t hesitate to contact us right away. The consultation is always free, and we at Singleton Law Firm are here to help.
Latest Dog Bites Statistics
There are approximately 7.7 million dog bites each year in the USA.
Half of the people injured by dogs are children, and mostly from the ages of 5 to 9.
64% of the fatal injuries are from pitbulls.
Physical injuries can include puncture wounds, infection, scaring, disease, and abrasions.
800,000 of dog bites result in medical care.
Georgia is one of the 10 states with the highest number of filed dog bite injury claims.
Insurers have paid out $797 million in 2019 for dog bite or other dog injuries claims.
Most people do not adequately warn of or take steps to protect people from dogs with vicious tendencies.
Is there a prohibition of bulldogs in Atlanta?
There is no official prohibition of bulldogs in the city of Atlanta, and no laws have passed to restrict them.
How long can I wait before filing my claim?
In the state of Georgia, you have two years to pursue your legal rights after a dog bite injury.
What if the dog owner wasn’t careless?
You are still eligible to file a claim even if the dog owner was not negligent.
What medical expenses can I recover with the dog bite claim?
You can receive compensation for any medical expenses, including medical assistance, emergency help, ongoing therapy, medication, surgeries, and more.