Legal Actions for Dog Bites
Dog bites are rare, but they do happen from time to time. It’s important to be safe around dogs and not to approach an unfamiliar one, as dog bites can be fatal, but sometimes encounters with dogs are unavoidable. They can attack without provocation, leaving you or your family with injuries. When dog bites occur, it can affect the quality of life of your family. When this happens, you deserve compensation. Here’s what to do in the event you or a family member is bitten by a dog.
Steps to Deal with a Dog Bite
- Try to identify the dog that bit you and the dog’s owner. Finding out who is liable for your injury is the most important part of a dog bite personal injury claim. Your attorney needs to know where to get all of the necessary information from.
- Get medical attention as soon as possible. It’s important because you want to prevent even more serious complications like infection. As soon as you get bit, you should head over to the emergency room to be seen by a medical provider.
- Call 311 and report the incident to the police. Make sure that you document everything on the call, including the name of the person you spoke to. Also, contact animal control, and they will determine what is best to do with the dog.
- Take pictures of your injuries immediately, and also take photos periodically as your injuries are healing. You want to make sure that you document as much as possible for your attorney. Also, if possible, take photos of the animal that bit you and the location of the animal if it doesn’t put you in danger of the dog again.
- Document any wages that you lose from work as a result of your dog bite injury. You’ll need to add this to your claim and request for compensation.
- Make sure that you obtain an experienced Georgia attorney soon after your injury. You want to ask friends and family first if they have any referrals for a personal injury attorney. If not, go on a site that reviews personal injury attorneys in your area and see what people are saying. It’s likely that if many people have a great experience with the attorney, you will as well.
At Singleton Law Firm, we take each and every dog bite very seriously. Even the smallest bite can have a big impact. We’ll investigate and ensure that you receive the compensation that you deserve.