If you have been involved in an auto accident, it is in your best interest to hire an experienced, reputable motor vehicle accident attorney Atlanta. A lawyer can assist you in recovering losses resulting from a motor vehicle accident and/or handle the hefty amount of paperwork, “red tape,” and hassle often associated with auto insurance claims. Seeking professional legal assistance from a reputable law firm as soon as possible can make a significant difference between getting justice through a justly resolved case and losing or owing monetary damages.
What is Motor Vehicle Accident Law?
Motor vehicle accident law is an area of legal practice that involves both traffic law and personal injury law. The law helps in determining fault in a traffic collision, and the laws of the state where the accident occurred are almost exclusively considered.
After the accident, a police officer will take photos, interview witnesses, and analyze the scene of the accident to piece together what happened. The victims of the accident will file claims with their insurance companies, who’ll review the police report and make a preliminary determination of fault. Depending on the auto insurance laws of your state and who’s at fault, the insurance company may reimburse some of the cost of replacing or repairing the vehicle.
Plaintiff and Defendant
One person may consider filing a suit against the other driver(s) when the damage is severe enough. The person who files the lawsuit is known as a “plaintiff,” and the one who responds is known as the “defendant.”
The insurance company of the defendant usually will cover the cost of defending the lawsuit, and the damages a plaintiff may win. Most lawsuits claim that one driver was “negligent,” meaning that the driver breached a duty of ensuring safe driving, and therefore, the plaintiff suffered injuries due to that breach. A motor vehicle accident attorney Atlanta at Singleton Law Firm can help you to build a strong case to ensure you get the compensation that you deserve.
Motor Vehicle Accident Law: Terms to Know
The following are essential terms to know about motor vehicle accident law:
- Negligence: A way of determining who’s at fault in an accident.
- Comparative Negligence: A method of apportioning fault when more than one person caused the accident.
- Vicarious Liability: A legal theory that apportions fault for the accident to someone who was not directly involved. For instance, an employer may be vicariously liable for an accident, which a driver caused while on the job.
- Collision Coverage: Auto insurance coverage for reimbursing drivers for the damage sustained in a collision.
- Comprehensive Coverage: Auto insurance coverage for reimbursing drivers for the damage sustained outside of a collision.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage – Auto insurance coverage for reimbursing drivers for the damage sustained in a collision with another driver who doesn’t have insurance, or whose insurance isn’t sufficient to pay for all damages.
Insurance Defense In Motor Vehicle Accident
Most motor vehicle accident attorney work exclusively in “insurance defense.” This means that they’ve contracted with an insurance company to defend insureds against the lawsuits arising out of auto accidents.
However, car accident victims who plan to sue the other parties should hire their motor vehicle accident lawyers. These attorneys can help you to review documents related to the accident and gather the necessary evidence.
Other related practices
Motor vehicle accident law combines aspects of traffic laws and personal injury laws, but it also shares subject matters with other related practice areas including:
- Product Liability: Sometimes, drivers don’t cause motor vehicle accidents, but rather by some defects in the vehicle, like the braking system.
- Insurance Law: Often, insurance companies end up paying for the damages sustained in auto accidents.
Involved in a Motor Vehicle Accident? Our Attorney Can Help
If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident, determining the responsible party without professional help might be difficult. If you have suffered injuries, act in your best interests, and consider discussing your case with our experienced motor vehicle accident attorney Atlanta. The attorney will help you navigate this complex practice area.
Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney
Call us today at (770) 889-6010 or contact us online to schedule a free case review with an attorney.